This cornbread recipe works very well ~1000ft or ~6000ft. As an added bonus, it is resilient against old ovens.
Works well for a 9.5x13.5x2 inch glass baking dish.
2.5 cups flour
1.5 cups corn meal
0.5 cup sugar for more dessert-like or
0.25 for general purpose use with beans, salsa, lettuce, cheese
4 teaspoons baking powder
0.5 teaspoon salt. Original says same amount for half of this recipe; sodium much?
2 cups skim milk
0.5 cup vegetable oil
- (Optional) grease cooking dish. The glass baking dish I use, never needs this.
- Original says to heat oven to 400F. I typically go 410F or 375F on convect bake in a new oven.
- Mixup dry ingredients. Form bowl in center of dry ingredients.
- Mixup eggs in center of bowl. Add remaining wet ingredients and mix all together until combined.
- Original says bake 20-25 minutes. For newer/more powerful ovens I go 22 minutes,
turn off the heat, and keep it in the oven for 5-10 more minutes. For older ovens I leave it in for
the full 25 minutes, and keep it in the oven for ~5 minutes after turning off the oven.
Post tags: cornbread and eats.
is written by Jason Zerbe and licensed
CC BY-NC 3.0