In summary, convert a whole eggplant to tortilla wrap stuffer with Mediterranean flavors and textures.
Serves 4 people.
- whole large eggplant (size of 2.5 fists) for 4 people or half-eggplant for 2 people - sliced into
1/2 inch think slices, about half the depth of your pinky
- 2 bell peppers - sliced lengthwise
- 2 tortillas per person
- 3-4 Tbsp hummus per wrap, depending on how much you like hummus
- 3-4 slices of colby-jack or cheddar-jack cheese per wrap
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Italian seasoning (oregano, marjoram, thyme, rosemary, sage) - I have a pre-blended tin from the store
- OPTIONAL two diced avocados - not Mediterranean, but I think it enhances the flavor
- Lay a single-depth bed of sliced eggplant in a large frypan. Some recipes suggest baking,
but I always end up with chewy eggplant in that case.
- Drizzle a thumb-width line of olive oil over each eggplant
round (which is very absorbent at this stage - be careful).
- Sprinkle Italian seasoning on each round.
- Cook on medium-high heat for 10-15 minutes, until a fork can penetrate with relative ease.
- Put about 3-4 rounds and cheese slices in each wrap, and let wraps sit in pan until cheese is soft.
- Add remaining stuffer ingredients. Serve immediately.
Post tags: Mediterranean, vegetarian, eggplant, and eats.
is written by Jason Zerbe and licensed
CC BY-NC 3.0